Sunday, September 9, 2012

More late season favorites.

      Well, we had a nice weekend with temps in the 60's for a change.  It's been pretty rainy,
 but I think we needed it.  I decided to try and plant seedlings out front and most of the seedlings were planted in containers in the back.  They had gotten pretty big,....so big in fact that I had some difficulties digging them out of their containers.  I don't use seed trays, rather I just take flower containers similar to those you see around decks.  Flower boxes if you will.  I like how deep they are and the daylilies get to spread their roots out more.  The seedlings were mature single fans...almost ready to throw scapes.  So, I hope to see first year blooms next year in July.  Moving along to our pictures this week. At the very top is a picture of some pumpkins from Sunrise Farms near Burton, Ohio.  Yes, it is getting closer to fall and I thought you might enjoy seeing the colors.  Below it is my compost pile, just chock full of reject seedlings.
  In the middle of the page is the daylily Look Here Mary.  Look Here Mary is a really nice late season daylily whose blooms measure almost 10 inches.  Look Here Mary is a diploid.  At the top of the bottom of the page is a very late gold daylily which is in bloom right now.  I believe the name is August Pioneer, but in case I'm wrong, someone please let me know the correct name.  Right below that is a shot of a great very late daylily apropriately named Late Round.  A nice polychrome tet.  At the very bottom of the page is in my mind the latest daylily every season, Pee Wee's Big Adventure from Curt Hanson.  Pee Wee is a bud builder.  Somehow you think the other lates will outlast Pee Wee, but low and behold Pee Wee will be in bloom at the very end of the season right up to the first frost.  Curt and I have compared notes and Pee Wee's Big Adventure is the champion of the late season.  Hope you all are doing well.

Blog Archive