Monday, January 16, 2012

Jamie Gossard's garden.


     About a year ago in late July, Lebron James anounced to the world that he was taking his talents to South Beach.  Me, being a big Cleveland sports fan was crushed.  I asked my wife, Kyle if she would go down the next day to see Jamie Gossard's garden to which she agreed.  The following day it was pouring rain, and Kyle had a terrible migraine headache.  In spite of that, she went with me on the 2 and 1/2 hour drive down to Columbus, Ohio.  I love my wife dearly.  She has gone with me to a bunch of daylily gardens in rain and in sun.  Even had a brief encounter with a rat snake as she walked into one nursery in Florida.  Scared her half to death.  We laugh about it today.  Anyway, the first time we went to Jamie Gossards it was pouring rain non stop.  Jamie did his best to show me a few things, but it was just raining too hard.  We decided to try and go back down this year....and wouldn't you know it, it was raining again.  Lucky for me, it was a passing shower and by the time we got down there it had cleared up.  Jamie gave me full tour this time.  The toothy daylily I have pictured above is a really cool toothy daylily that Jamie calls "Sun 1," for now.  I was really impressed with the size of the teeth.  The photograph below is his introduction, "Heavenly Pink Fang."  I am really impressed with H.P.F.'s color.  Steve Moldovan was a big color guy and that was one thing we always saw eye to eye on.  H.P.F. has outstanding color and the teeth are very prominent.  The other thing I like about H.P.F. is it's consistency.  Every bloom looks good from the first to the last.  I believe Jamie said the big conference is in Columbus this year and anyone on the tour should really enjoy seeing Jamie's daylilies.  The thing I enjoyed the most about visiting Jamie's garden is he has such a wide range of daylilies.  From some of the best toothy daylilies, to some spectacular UFO's, and some really cool patterned daylilies.  If you are visiting Ohio, don't miss out on your chance to see Jamie's place.

Blog Archive